20100407

What is a god? What makes something deified?

What is a god? Seems like this is a question that any individual god ought to be able to answer, right?  Let's give it a shot, and see how I measure up.  Feel free to compare yourself, you may gain some insight into what makes you different from one of the many gods living amongst you and your kind.

The question of what constitutes a god is one of those with as many answers as there are individual consciousnesses which consider the question.  Let's try starting from common ground.
If we begin by consulting the Random House unabridged dictionary, we find:

God (n)
1. the one Supreme Being, the creator and ruler of the universe.
2. one of several deities, especially a male deity, presiding over some portion of worldly affairs.
3. (often lowercase) a supreme being according to some particular conception: the god of mercy.
4. (lowercase) an image of a deity; an idol.
5. (lowercase) any deified person or object.

Noting the male connotation (and my disregard to sex or gender in the aspect of deification) I checked out goddess next.

Goddess (n)
1. a female god or deity.
2. a woman of extraordinary beauty and charm.
3. a greatly admired or adored woman.

Both of these use the word deity as part of their definition, and in the interest of a complete definition:

Deity (n)
1. a god or goddess.
2. divine character or nature, especially that of the Supreme Being; divinity.
3. the estate or rank of a god: The king attained deity after his death.
4. a person or thing revered as a god or goddess: a society in which money is the only deity.

Common threads:
1) Created or controls the world or some part of the world.
2) Extraordinary characteristics
3) Veneration, reverence, or adoration

Perhaps I'm egotistical.  I have power, control, and influence among everything I become aware of, if I so choose. I have many distinctly venerable qualities: beauty, humor, ingenuity, intelligence, etc.  I have a congregation numbering between one (myself: god, high priest, and supplicant) and the total number of people I have ever encountered, depending on how you ask the question.  There are even stories told about me, some of them nearly legend and told in a manner reminiscent of ritual retellings of cosmogonic stories.

Aside from the dictionary definitions, I have already noted that, as an autotheist, I identify with the universe, and each other inhabitant.  I also sometimes deny my own individual ego in order to serve my greater self, but it can not be denied that I do have an individual ego.  I remember when I realized that the christian doctrine of the holy trinity on which I had been raised supports of my personal claim to divinity! I identify with the holy father who exerts his magic power to wrap chaos in order, and to stir up stagnation.  I identify with the holy spirit, which some call the universal consciousness, or the cosmic spark, or whathaveyou, the bit which words have failed to describe despite being older and more consistent than language.  I identify with the wholly human animal, bound within a body and a perceived physical environment which may or may not obey my command.

Some time soon, I hope to have enough readers to have at least one comment of each of these types for every post: flame, "wow, you're like, smart and stuff", skeptical arguments, etc. I'm interested to see where this whole thing develops.

No comments:

Post a Comment