20100403

I = god.

What am I talking about? Defining autotheism: I = god.
(Whoa! Sounds like a crazy one!)
In general, I don't habitually advertise this little fact about myself
because I can see I may be easily misunderstood. That being said: when
it comes up, if the conversation continues (intellectually), I
generally get asked about the morality of believing yourself a deity.
I pose a question, assuming I know the answer:
Have you ever felt badly about having acted in a manner that you do
not find in any way reprehensible? And you try to "fix" it anyway?

This is how autotheists have ultimate morality. The autotheists (and
some buddhists, and god knows who else) identify with everything and
everyone. A wrong done to a despised person equals a wrong to his own
person. Thus, artfully achieving the Rawls-ian veil of ignorance.
Common critique of Rawls' veil includes the impossibility of such a
creature.
In this case, I am on every side of the veil, simultaneously. I
achieve ignorance through attempting thorough understanding.

No comments:

Post a Comment